Saturday, January 12, 2008

Midnight Salvage - Adrienne Rich


Rich is a masterful poet who is adventurous and bold in this collection. Her intelligent use of words, turned in creative phrases, make you wonder "How does she do it?"

I tend to judge poetry by how often I stop to read a line or stanza over again because it has surprised me, amazed me, or gave me pleasure. Rich does all of that in this book. The poems are stark and challenging often depicting scenes of war or inhumanity. Like all good poetry, they elevate the use of words to art.


From the poem "Rusted Legacy"

Imagine a city where nothing's
forgiven your deed adheres
to you like a scar, a tatoo but almost everything's
forgotten deer flattened leaping a highway for foot
the precise reason for the shaving of the confused girl's head
the small boy's punishing of frogs
--a city memory-starved but intent on retributions
Imagine the architecture the governance
the men and the women in power
--tell me if it is not true you still
live in that city.

No comments: