Sunday, March 30, 2008

Canone Inverso - Paolo Maurensig

"For you to understand what music is and where this tremendous passion can lead, I must tell you from the beginning the story of that violinist whose soul was imprisoned in his violin."

Music, perfection, and immortality are intertwined in this beautifully written short novel. The author tells us a story within a story creating a book I didn't want to put down. It was one of the rare books that made me want to read it again as soon as I finished.

The purchase of an antique violin leads the narrator into an intricate tale involving a collage of deep themes of human life. The book was a true pleasure to read, unlike many books which get burdened with complexity trying to cover the mysteries of life.

The book jacket calls this book "a forceful, sensuous masterpiece". I agree and am awed how the author does so with concise, poetic language while narrating a story.

No comments: