Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Pontoon - Garrison Keillor

Evelyn was an insomniac so when they say she died in her sleep, you have to question that. Probably she was sitting propped up in bed reading and heard the brush of wings and smelled the cold clean air and the angel appeared like a deer in the bedroom and Evelyn said, "Not yet. I have to finish this book."

Once again Keillor takes us to Lake Wobegon and once again leaves the reader smiling with a more cheerful mood. I always hesitate to read a new Keillor book thinking I may have tired of his not dissimilar stories. But then it seems I never tire of good humor told with a good style. Just like you can watch a funny comedian do the same bit over and over, Keillor's ongoing tales of Lake Wobegon never fail to make me smile and even laugh out loud at times. Great summer reading.

No comments: