Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Flight - Sherman Alexie

I take careful aim. Then I laugh. This journey started when I shot a bunch of strangers in a bank. A horrible, evil act. And now I'm lying in the dirt, getting ready to shoot a bunch of strangers. This time in self-defense and in defense of the two boy who are riding farther and farther away from me.
Is there really a difference between that killing and this killing? Does God approve of some killing and not other killing? If I kill these soldiers so that Small Saint and Bow Boy can escape, does that make me a hero?
I don't know. How am I supposed to know? I don't even have a good guess.

I love Sherman Alexie's writing which is usually quite humorous. Like previous books, this one centers on the plight of an American Indian. Unlike his other books, this one is not humorous. It is a very powerful tale of that covers an amazing array of ideas and emotions in a short novel- homelessness, juvenile delinquency, murder, karma, racial tensions, coming of age, foster parents, terrorism, the plight of American Indians, time travel, love, and more. Yes, he really does cover all of this, and it works. Told from the perspective of a teenage boy, the language is simple and easy to read, but the impact of what is being said is not easy to digest.
This book left a lasting impact on me. It has been a while since a book made me examine my thoughts and ponder so many subjects for so long. A great piece of writing that can be read in a few hours, but will keep you thinking long after.

No comments: