Sunday, February 28, 2010

Ascending Peculiarity - Karen Wilken

"But my least favorite author in all the world--how could I have forgotten? Henry James. I hate Henry James more than tongue can tell. I have read everything he wrote, sometimes more than once. I think he's the worst writer in the English language. Those endless sentences. I always pick up Henry James and I think, Oooh! This is wonderful! And then I will hear a little sound. And it's the plug being pulled. And the whole thing is going down the drain like the bathwater."

You don't want to be rich and famous?
"I think it would be worse. More of the same and worse."

Somewhat an auto/biography, this book consists of articles about and interviews with Edward Gorey spanning a twenty-five year period. The title comes from a description by Gorey of his process of organizing one of his books, it aptly applies to him personally. Most peculiar and also most wonderful is he. His drawings, of which many are shown in this book, are odd and delightful to view.

The book reveals much about a man who chose to remain quite private during his life. He seems to have always been unique even among artists. A voracious reader, he would often read books, even ones he disliked, several times. He was also voracious in his viewing of movies and the ballet. As opposed to a biography, the articles and interviews are an interesting way to learn about Gorey. If you enjoy Gorey's work, you will most likely very much enjoy this book.

No comments: