Sunday, August 8, 2010

Who Do You Love - Jean Thompson

We were headed straight into bad news. The snow had begun sixty miles back as something light and sifting. It raced across the highway in curving snake shapes and slid harmlessly beneath the wheels. By the last exit it was sticking to the road in patches. Just a few miles farther and the pavement turned solid white. The wind was stronger now; it blew at right angles to the highway, kicking up loose snow, filling the air with it. I was driving hunched up against the wheel as close as I could get. Holly said, "I told you, check the forecast."
.
This book of short stories focuses on disappointments in love. Mostly focused on a woman's perspective, they are sad stories on the flip side of the knight in shining armor. Thompson succeeds in crafting unique situations and people having to face an unsatisfying experience. Too often, I found myself not really caring enough about the people and situations. The author has received a lot of recognition and praise for her work, so I guess she appeals to many more so than she did to me.

No comments: