Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Buddha's Little Finger - Victor Pelevin

The bust of Aristotle was the only thing I retained in my memory when I came around, although I am far from certain that the expression 'to come round' is entirely appropriate. Ever since my childhood I have sensed in it a certain shame-faced ambiguity. Round what exactly? To where? And, most intriguing of all, from where? Nothing, in short, but a cheating sleight of hand, like the card-sharps on the Volga steamers. As I grew older, I came to understand that the words 'to come round' actually mean 'to come round to other people's point of view', because no sooner is one born than these other people begin explaining just how hard one must try to force oneself to assume a form which they find acceptable.

This is book is as strange as it title might imply. And it is strangely wonderful. Pelevin crafts a surreal book that displays the differing character of Russia through bizarre situations. Yes, Buddha's little finger does play a part in the book. The main character is thrust into wild situations where the nature of existence and reality are questioned. The writing is thought-provoking and creative. This imaginative book is full of surprises that will bring smiles along with reflections to the reader. For those who like books that challenge the reader, this book will is well worth the effort. A great book.

No comments: