Thursday, October 21, 2010

Heart of a Dog - Mikhail Bulgakov

I am handsome. Perhaps I'm really a dog prince, living incognito, mused the dog as he watched the shaggy, coffee-coloured dog with the smug expression strolling about in the mirrored distance. I wouldn't be surprised if my grandmother didn't have an affair with a Labrador. Now that I look at my muzzle, I see there's a white patch on it. I wonder how it got there. Phillip Philipovich is a man of great taste- he wouldn't just pick up any stray mongrel.

Written in 1925, this short novel is a sharp-witted, humorous attack on Russia after the Russian revolution of 1917. A science experiment goes awry in the home lab of an educated doctor at odds with the proletarians. The author has received much posthumous acclaim. His style is creative and crisply written. He is able to create a funny book with dark themes. His political comments on totalitarianism often ring true today. A very entertaining read from another great Russian writer.

No comments: