Thursday, December 16, 2010

Othello - William Shakespeare

I pray you, in your letters,
When you shall these unlucky deeds relate,
Speak of me as I am; nothing extenuate,
Nor set down aught in malice: then, must you speak
Of one that lov'd not wisely but too well;
Of one not easily jealous, but, being wrought,
Perplex'd in the extreme; of one whose hand,
Like the base Indian, threw a pearl away
Richer than all his tribe; of one whose subdu'd eyes
Albeit unused to the melting mood,
Drop tears as fast as the Arabian trees
Their med'cinable gum. Set you down this;
And say besides, that in Aleppo once,
Where a malignant and a turban'd Turk
Beat a Venetian and traduc'd the state,
I took by the throat the circumcised dog,
And smote him thus.
Othello, scene ii

It's Shakespeare's great Othello...what more need I say. I liked this version edited by Ross McDonald as it contains nice introductions to the the theater world of Shakespeare's time and the writing of Othello. The footnotes are set up in a manner that doesn't distract from reading text and give brief explanations of outdated English to assist the reader.

No comments: