Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Lost - Daniel Mendelsohn

At night, I think about these things. I'm pleased with what I know, but now I think much more about everything I could have known, which was so much more than anything I can now learn and which is now gone forever. What I do know now is this: there's so much you don't really see, preoccupied as you are with the business of living; so much you never really notice, until suddenly, for whatever reason--you happen to look like someone long dead; you decide, suddenly, that it's important to let your children know where they came from--you need the information that people you once knew always had to give you, if only you'd asked. But by the time you think to ask, it's too late.

An amazing story of searching for his past is told in this well written non-fiction story by Mendelsohn. With an interest in his family tree discovered in his childhood, the author documents his efforts to discover six family members who disappeared along with six million other members of the Jewish family. The investigation involves a compelling mystery that moves to several continents. I loved the story and was quite moved at times by the touching family stories and the horrors of the Nazis. A lot of details about the people met along the way that sometimes got in the way of the story.

No comments: