Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.
She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lolita in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita.

A perverse love story within one of the greatest novels of the 20th century. It is hard to imagine another writer creating such a masterful book centered around an incestuous relationship. An amazing piece of writing that should be read by anyone enjoys literature. Nabokov is able to play with words in dazzling ways and challenge one's thinking at the same time. An artistic exploration with humor and sensuousness, love and perversity.

No comments: